Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Week 1: That's so, like, 10 years ago..

I'm going to choose to look at me 10 years ago almost exactly. Because in just a few months I will be entering my thirties so I want to enjoy the last view months of being in my twenties :)

So, 10 years ago, I was 19 and entering my Junior year in College at George Mason University. Sam and I had already been together almost 3 years at that point and had lived together for almost 2 years. We both worked at a small independent theater in Manassas and had this dream of making it an awesome movie cafe. That didn't happen but hey, we could dream.

I was already engaged and in debt. We had little to no money and not the best of jobs. We had 4 dogs at the time (Sabrina had not yet joined the pack!) and I was obsessed with Paul Frank. I ran up quite the hefty bill from ebay purchases. Oh yeah, and I think I just discovered for was just about to discover Harry Potter. And Owls.

I dreamed of being super crafty and sewing my own purses. I designed a couple and my friend Holly sewed them for me out of glitter vinyl. I was still driving my red Honda CRV and Sam had a blue Kia suv thingy that I can't remember the name of. I had no idea what I was going to do with my degree in history but I think I was starting to think about teaching college. On the music front, I was listening to Coldplay, The Thrills and The Strokes. Definitely The Strokes.

So, 10 years later, some of my expectations were met. I think i'm pretty crafty and still love designing stuff. I have 2 kids, as planned. I'm living in Lynchburg which was totally not expected and I'm a Special Ed Teacher. I never would've thought my M. Ed would be in this field! And that I'd love it so much.

Also, Autism never even passed my mind 10 years ago where as now, it's a way of life. I wonder what I would've thought or done differently if I'd known Autism would be such a significant part of our life. It doesn't matter though. I had my first son at 23 and love him regardless. Maybe I would've been better prepared, maybe not. Maybe my journey into special ed was God or the universe's way of getting me ready.

Sam also now has a college degree in education which I don't think I would've expected 10 years ago. However, the not having a job thing is also something I wouldn't have expected either.

All in all, not too many surprises here. I think I would've liked things to be somewhat different in regards to jobs etc but I think most of my expectations were right on target!

As for a blog I read, definitely check out my niece Kyra's blog: Mrs. Quartermaster Most of my other regular reading material is of the crafty nature (not that you're not crafty Kyra but ya know what I mean :)

3 comments:

Kyra said...

I am totally not crafty. I would like to be... but at the same time, it isn't something I want to dedicate myself to. No biggie :-)

And thanks for joining in on my fun!

Sassy Runner Girl said...

You're so crafty, you make people :D

Della said...

you get the sum of your wager additionally ten% back again. For example, if you bet $10.00 and $one.00 in juice on a -110 income line and it wins, you get $21. 00.
asikqq
dewaqq
sumoqq
interqq
pionpoker
bandar ceme
hobiqq
paito warna terlengkap
http://199.30.55.59/dewaqq78/
datahk

Things I Love..

  • My Family
  • My Beautiful Boys!
  • My Dogs (all 5 of em!)
  • Stamping
  • Scrapbooking
  • Chocolate
  • Shoes and Purses!