Tuesday, June 17, 2008

What's in a name?

I don't have any "Creative" stuff to share today. I was rather tired and yesterday was a long day, so I napped when Nate napped and used my other ounce of free time to exercise since I am way slacking.
However, I was thinking of posting and updating on Nate, etc. when this quote popped in my head:
What’s in a name? That which we call a rose / By any other name would smell as sweet- Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

This started when I was thinking about them giving Nate a diagnosis. Well, I'm a SPED teacher- I use a diagnosis as a guidepost, not a label per say. I also am one of those people that feel comforted by having a "name" for something. I don't do well floating in limbo. Nate can still be considered Speech/Language Impaired or developmental delay. However, he also meets the criteria for Pervasive Developmental Disorder- Not Otherwise Specified. PDD-NOS, as it is called, is on the Autism Spectrum. It's basically what a kid is when they have some Autistic tendencies but not enough to be labeled as having Autism.

I have known it for awhile. Especially after the ear tubes and he went "zombie" on us for awhile. He has responded so well to the gluten/casein/soy/corn free diet and low phenols (thing no colored fruits, veggies, etc). He is responding to mb12 shots and all the other supplements. I want to smack any doctor that hasn't recommended kids with similar characteristics try these types of things. If we had stayed at our regular pediatrician, he wouldn't have even gotten him a speech eval until he was 2. That's 1 month from now~ Because I know what I know and have friends that a speech therapists, he began services at 18 months.

Anyway, the point is, that no matter the name, it is what it is and Nate is Nate. He's a happy very intelligent child, that is stubborn and can look "different' at times. In the end though, I know he'll be fine. No matter how much a pain in the butt all this is, the results have already been worth it. Our next endeavor is to rid his body of excess yeast. His yeast indicator should've been lower than 16 mmol but instead is was 398!! That's a HUGE deal!!

I've also had some health setbacks. I'm thinking sheer exhaustion, stress. We thought it was the beginning of a Lupus flare but not so sure. I go to the rheumatologist tomorrow either way. I am also being strict about the diet as it is beneficial for me. I will try some of the other supplements as well. There is so many similarities between autoimmune diseases and the problems that kids with 'Autistic" like behaviors...

Anyway, I hope to be able to share some cards, etc. Tomorrow! Hope everyone is having a fab week!

No comments:

Things I Love..

  • My Family
  • My Beautiful Boys!
  • My Dogs (all 5 of em!)
  • Stamping
  • Scrapbooking
  • Chocolate
  • Shoes and Purses!